What is a Physician Assistant?
Physician Assistants (PAs) are medical professionals that provide services under the supervision of physicians. PAs are trained to provide diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive healthcare services, as deemed necessary by a physician. Although PAs are educated as generalists in medicine, many PAs work in specialty fields, including cardiovascular surgery, orthopedics, and emergency medicine. Most PAs work in the primary care specialty areas of family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology.
Physician Assistants typically do the following:
- Work under the supervision of a physician.
- Take medical histories.
- Examine and treat patients.
- Order and interpret laboratory tests and X-rays.
- Make diagnoses, and prescribe medications.
- Treat minor injuries by suturing, splinting, and casting.
- Record progress notes, instruct and counsel patients.
- Order or carry out therapy.
- Prescribe medicine, when needed. For a current list of accredited PA programs, visit: http://directory.paeaonline.org/.
Contact Information for Georgia PA Programs:
- Mercer: email@example.com or (678) 547-6391
- Augusta: firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 721-3247
- Emory: email@example.com or (404) 727-7825
- South: firstname.lastname@example.org or (912) 201-8025
- GA-PCOM: GAAdmissions@pcom.edu or (678) 225-7500
What should I major in?
While most pre-PA students believe they have to major in Biology, your major really does not matter. In fact, as long as you successfully complete the courses required for admission into your preferred PA program, you are welcome to major in any field that you are most passionate about.
The following majors are among those that provide a practical route to PA school:
- B.S. Ed. Exercise and Sport Science (College of Education)
- B.S.H.P. Health Promotion (College of Public Health)
- BSFCS Human Development and Family Science (College of Family and Consumer Sciences)
- BS Biology (Franklin College of Arts and Sciences)
- BS Psychology (Franklin College of Arts and Sciences)
- B.S.A. Biological Science (College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences)