While requirements will differ from program to program, most nursing schools require students to have:
1) At least 60 hours of credit (i.e., all Core requirements completed).
Note: Completed Core requirements at UGA will transfer to all other institutions within the University System of Georgia. In other words, it is not required that you complete the Core requirements at the institution you hope to transfer but instead should focus on completing AREAS I-V at UGA. Private institutions (e.g., Piedmont College) may accept or reject transfer credit at their own discretion. Therefore, you will want to double-check with the admissions offices at private institutions prior to applying.
2) Several additional pre-nursing pre-requisites completed before matriculation.
Typical nursing pre-requisites include:
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II (CBIO 2200/L and CBIO 2210/L)
- Microbiology with lab (MIBO 2500/L or 3000/L or 3500 and 3510/L)
- Human Growth & Development (HDFS 2200)
- Chemistry (CHEM 1211/L and sometimes CHEM 1212/L)
- Biology (BIOL 1103/L and 1104/L or BIOL 1107/L and 1108/L)
- Statistics (STAT 2000 or BIOS 2010)
- Psychology (PSYC 1101)
- Sociology (SOCI 1101)
- Public Speaking (COMM 1100 or 1500)
Note: The above requirements are not exhaustive. It is important that you check the website of each individual nursing program you wish to apply for updated requirements.